Vermont Horse Council Safety
View our new road safety PSA on the right, thanks to the Agency of Agriculture, Food and Markets and Vt. Department of Public Safety for sponsoring this new public safety information!
Vulnerable User (Bike, Equestrian, and Pedestrian) Laws Are Updated!
Horses now fall under the title of "Vulnerable Users." This also includes horse drawn vehicles.
Below is an update as of July 1, 2016.
The Vermont Statutes Online
Title 23 : Motor Vehicles
Chapter 013 : Operation Of Vehicles
Subchapter 003 : Use Of Roadway
§ 1033. Passing motor vehicles and vulnerable users
(a) Passing motor vehicles. Motor vehicles proceeding in the same direction may be overtaken and passed only as follows:
(1) The driver of a motor vehicle overtaking another motor vehicle proceeding in the same direction may pass to its left at a safe distance, and when so doing shall exercise due care, shall not pass to the left of the center of the highway except as authorized in section 1035 of this title, and shall not again drive to the right side of the roadway until safely clear of the overtaken vehicle.
(2) Except when overtaking and passing on the right is permitted, the driver of an overtaken motor vehicle shall give way to the right in favor of the overtaking motor vehicle and shall not increase the speed of his or her vehicle until completely passed by the overtaking vehicle.
(b) Passing vulnerable users. The operator of a motor vehicle approaching or passing a vulnerable user as defined in subdivision 4(81) of this title shall exercise due care, which includes increasing clearance to a recommended distance of at least four feet, to pass the vulnerable user safely, and shall cross the center of the highway only as provided in section 1035 of this title. A person who violates this subsection shall be subject to a civil penalty of not less than $200.00. (Added 1971, No. 258 (Adj. Sess.), § 3, eff. March 1, 1973; amended 2009, No. 114 (Adj. Sess.), § 2; 2015, No. 158 (Adj. Sess.), § 39.)
Horse Paper Pouches
They are available for purchase for $20.00, in a variety of colors. These pouches are great to keep Coggins and Rabies certificate, shot records and even information on your dog (Rabies and Dog License). Contact Carmel Stone at 802-879-7354 or Motortim@aol.com.
With spring in sight, it’s time to think about getting ready to ride and checking over tack and getting Trailers registered. Take extra time checking over tack, worn or dried out leather can become a safety issue. Double checking the trailer hitch before heading out on the road can save your live and your horse(s).
117 Old Stage Road
Essex Junction, VT 05452
Vermont-Large-Animal-Technical-Rescue-Coalition Trained Teams
by Carmel Stone
The current teams are:
- Colchester Technical Rescue = Chittenden, Grand Isle and Washington Counties
- Orwell Fire Department = Addison and Northern Rutland County
- Being run out of the Lucy Mckenzie Humane Society by a trained responder = Orange and Northern Windsor County
- Grafton Fire Department = Windham and Southern Windsor Counties
- Middletown Springs = Bennington and Southern Rutland County
- Craftsbury Fire Department = Lamoille and Orleans County
- Sheffield-Wheelock Fire Department Technical Rescue = Caledonia and Essex County
In an emergency teams can only be requested by your local fire department law enforcement or veterinarian.
Call 911 and your veterinarian in the event of emergency!! Please state you have a large animal emergency.
Facebook Information: the URL link is https://www.facebook.com/pages/Vermont-Large-Animal-